And then there were two...
So after almost a month I'm starting to get a feel for the town and learn where to buy my groceries, do my laundry, get my hair cut (well, I think I need to find a different place...it didn't turn out that well...) and slowly but surely, where to go out at night. The friends I've made here have been really helpful in terms of answering my dumb questions and taking me to the best bars and clubs. I don't think I've ever met such nice people in my life, especially because they don't have to be so nice to me. The hospitality is nothing like I've experienced anywhere else.
So on Tuesday Erin arrived from the States. I went to pick her up in the airport but she ended up getting through customs before I even got there on the bus because the traffic was so bad (I don't really like Mexico City...). But it ended up okay, and we got to Cuernavaca late but safe. It's really nice to have some company around the apartment. We stay up late talking like little girls at a slumber party, but hey, there's a little girl in all of us. It's her birthday this weekend so we're going to get a cake and celebrate tomorrow night with Elizabeth (the other Fulbrighter here) and her roommates.
Last week was Mexican Independence Day, so to be part of the festivities I participated in the famous "grito", or call to independence. Everyone gathers in the main plaza of every town in Mexico and shouts "VIVA MEXICO!" at midnight on September 15. There were lots of families there, and after the grito they had fireworks. Unlike the U.S., the safety precautions are not as extensive, and the crowd was so close to the fireworks that the debris was falling on top of people!! Luckily I was far enough away that it didn't fall on me, but I definitely didn't feel like I was outside of the danger zone. I kept an attentive eye on the show because I didn't want that to be the day a stray firework landed on my head. But I had a great time. Now I'm looking forward to the other festivals and holidays coming up in October and November...this country loves an excuse to celebrate!
So on Tuesday Erin arrived from the States. I went to pick her up in the airport but she ended up getting through customs before I even got there on the bus because the traffic was so bad (I don't really like Mexico City...). But it ended up okay, and we got to Cuernavaca late but safe. It's really nice to have some company around the apartment. We stay up late talking like little girls at a slumber party, but hey, there's a little girl in all of us. It's her birthday this weekend so we're going to get a cake and celebrate tomorrow night with Elizabeth (the other Fulbrighter here) and her roommates.
Last week was Mexican Independence Day, so to be part of the festivities I participated in the famous "grito", or call to independence. Everyone gathers in the main plaza of every town in Mexico and shouts "VIVA MEXICO!" at midnight on September 15. There were lots of families there, and after the grito they had fireworks. Unlike the U.S., the safety precautions are not as extensive, and the crowd was so close to the fireworks that the debris was falling on top of people!! Luckily I was far enough away that it didn't fall on me, but I definitely didn't feel like I was outside of the danger zone. I kept an attentive eye on the show because I didn't want that to be the day a stray firework landed on my head. But I had a great time. Now I'm looking forward to the other festivals and holidays coming up in October and November...this country loves an excuse to celebrate!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home