Too many airplanes!
I love traveling, but sometimes it gets really tiring. I arrived in Costa Rica last night, and I´m staying at a friend, Wendy´s, house until Saturday. Then I´m going to Nicaragua with LaToya and Anna, the other girls who are doing research here. I hate living out of a suitcase!! But after next week I will settle in at Wendy´s boyfriend´s house for a while. But really I´m just looking forward to settling in Cuernavaca.
Mexico City was great. Rafael´s family is wonderful, they took me out to eat and I met Rafa´s nieces who are about my age. Apparently they go to Acapulco all the time (they have a condo there), so the next time they go they´re just going to pick me up in Cuernavaca on the way! So when I first arrived, one of the men who help you with your bags took my bags and asked if someone was coming to get me. I said, "no, necesito coger taxi." Ahhh! In many countries, that means that I need to take a taxi, but in others, including Mexico, it means something very vulgar... I knew I said it too, which is the worst part. I´m trying to remove that word from my vocabulary, but it might take a while.
Costa Rica is even stranger. They never use "tu", always "usted", even with close friends. And if they do speak informally, they say "vos". Great. More things to remember. By the time I finish all my travels I will have the most eclectic mix of vocabulary, grammar, and accents from all over the Spanish-speaking world. Although right now apparently my accent sounds strangely "españolado". Three people in two days have asked me where I learned Spanish, noting that I have a bit of a Spanish accent. See, Eduardo? I told you ;-)
This morning I went to spinning class with LaToya and Wendy´s mom. The instructor kept shouting "vamos equipo!". It was really entertaining. I´m not sure what the altitude is here, but it´s definitely lower than Mexico City. I ran up the stairs yesterday in Rafael´s house and was left pretty out of breath. I have to give myself time to adjust.
Okay well it´s time to get some Costa Rican money (colones) and do some preparation for our Nicaragua trip. Ciao!
Mexico City was great. Rafael´s family is wonderful, they took me out to eat and I met Rafa´s nieces who are about my age. Apparently they go to Acapulco all the time (they have a condo there), so the next time they go they´re just going to pick me up in Cuernavaca on the way! So when I first arrived, one of the men who help you with your bags took my bags and asked if someone was coming to get me. I said, "no, necesito coger taxi." Ahhh! In many countries, that means that I need to take a taxi, but in others, including Mexico, it means something very vulgar... I knew I said it too, which is the worst part. I´m trying to remove that word from my vocabulary, but it might take a while.
Costa Rica is even stranger. They never use "tu", always "usted", even with close friends. And if they do speak informally, they say "vos". Great. More things to remember. By the time I finish all my travels I will have the most eclectic mix of vocabulary, grammar, and accents from all over the Spanish-speaking world. Although right now apparently my accent sounds strangely "españolado". Three people in two days have asked me where I learned Spanish, noting that I have a bit of a Spanish accent. See, Eduardo? I told you ;-)
This morning I went to spinning class with LaToya and Wendy´s mom. The instructor kept shouting "vamos equipo!". It was really entertaining. I´m not sure what the altitude is here, but it´s definitely lower than Mexico City. I ran up the stairs yesterday in Rafael´s house and was left pretty out of breath. I have to give myself time to adjust.
Okay well it´s time to get some Costa Rican money (colones) and do some preparation for our Nicaragua trip. Ciao!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home